This guide explains how to set up Mylio on your computer and phone and add your Apple Photos library. You can also add your laptop, tablet, and other family member’s phones by downloading Mylio on those devices and signing in with the same credentials.
Step 1: Download Mylio on your computer
- Visit mylio.com/download/ on your computer
- Install Mylio for free
- Sign in with your email and a password
- Verify your email
- Begin the setup wizard
- Select Skip when asked to add your photos (you will add photos in Steps 2, 3, and 4)
- Select Complete Setup
Step 2: Download Mylio on your phone
Downloading Mylio on your phone automatically adds the photos and videos you take on your phone to your Mylio library. Mylio also syncs an optimized version of your library to your phone so you can manage all your photos wherever you go. You can also Free Up Space on your phone by having Mylio remove originals from your phone when they are already stored on a Vault.
- Visit the App Store/Play Store on your phone
- Install Mylio for free
- Sign in with the same credentials you used on your computer
- Complete the setup wizard to add media from your Camera Roll/Media Library
*Note: For Mylio to sync your phone, Mylio needs to be open in the foreground of your phone, as well as open on another device on the same wifi network.
Step 3: Add your Apple Photos Library
Mylio makes importing your Apple Photos library easy. With macOS Catalina (10.15) and newer, Mylio’s Photos import tool will watch over your original images to keep the two libraries in sync with one another. See this Support article for the full details.
- Close the Apple Photos application before starting these steps.
- Open Mylio and select the Import icon from the top right corner of Mylio.
- Within the Import menu, select Aperture / Photos.
- Mylio will search for your Photos library automatically. If your Photos library is not found, select Other Library… and show Mylio where it is.
- Select your Photos Library and click Continue in the bottom right.
- Once the information has been confirmed, select Start Import to begin the Photos import.
- Mylio will automatically begin to import your Photos library inside a top-level folder named “Apple Photos”. Inside “Apple Photos” will be a folder named after your Photos library.
- Once completed, Mylio will display a blue information bar that says “Library Import Completed” and you can close the information window by clicking the “x” in the corner.
Step 4: Consolidate your other photos
There are two primary ways to import the rest of your photos into Mylio.
Option 1: Import with Copy
When you import with copy, Mylio will duplicate a folder and its contents into the Mylio Pictures folder. This is a great way to add photos from online services like Facebook, Flickr, and Google Photos, as well as your camera/sd card.
- Select the import button
- Select Copy
- Locate and select the folder(s) you want to add
- Select Continue
Option 2: Import with Source Folders
When you choose to import with Source Folders, Mylio will keep your photos in the current location – meaning they are not being duplicated or moved. Because Mylio is referencing your folders and their contents in their current location, any change made in Mylio will be on your original files.
- Go to the View menu (three dots in the upper right)
- Select Settings
- Select Source Folders
- Choose Add more folders
- Select the folder(s) you want to add
- Select Apply
Step 5: Personalize your collection
With all your photos in one place, you can efficiently personalize your collection. Mylio lets you customize your library with flexible tools and views that let you sort and search for your photos any way you want.
- Create folders and albums
- Add linked calendars and events
- Tag people with face recognition
- Similarly, apply dates, geotags, captions, ratings, categories, and more
- Find photos fast with views, search, and filter
- Edit with presets, Mylio’s editing suite, or a third-party editor
Find Out More
To find out more, visit the Mylio Support Site.
Here to Help
Our friendly Support staff makes getting started easy. Send them a message at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Join the Conversation
Sign up for the Mylio User Community Forum at community.mylio.com. People discuss photography. Likewise, people share organizing tips. In addition, people help each other troubleshoot.